Symposium on Mechanics and Physics of Soft Matter
On behalf of the organizing committee, I cordially invite your participation in Symposium on Mechanics and
Physics of Soft Matter, as part of the 13th Pan-American Congress of Applied Mechanics (PACAM XIII), to be held in Houston, Texas, May 22-24, 2013.
Soft matter has emerged recently as a highly interdisciplinary research area at the interface between physics and chemistry, with exciting developments and potential applications in materials, biomedical, and electronics. Mechanics of soft matter has also become an active field with both fundamental interests and practical applications. This symposium aims to provide a stimulating discussion forum for recent advances in the mechanics and physics of soft matter, including experiments, theories, modeling and simulations. Specifically, the topics of interest include, but not limited to:
- Nonlinear mechanical behavior of polymers and elastomers
- Fracture and instability of soft materials
- Mechanics of interfaces (contact, adhesion, and friction) between soft matter and other material
- Soft active materials, including electroactive polymers, dielectric elastomers, shape-memory polymers, and ionic polymer-metal composites (IPMC)
- Polymer gels
- Biomaterials, including soft tissues, cells, and biopolymers
Sponsored by American Academy of Mechanics, PACAM is a biennial event to promote progresses in the broad field of mechanics. More information about PACAM XIII is available at: http://www.conferencetoolbox.org/PACAMXIII/.
To submit an abstract, please go to: http://www.conferencetoolbox.org/PACAMXIII/login.cfm and select Track 8 for this symposium. The submission deadline is Tuesday, January 15, 2013.
Symposium organizers: Rui Huang (University of Texas at Austin), Oscar Lopez-Pamies (University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign), and Jerry H. Qi (University of Colorado-Boulder)