You are here
I am teaching this course this semester. I'll post notes as I write them. Links to the notes are listed in this post. I will also notify updates on twitter: https://twitter.com/zhigangsuo
- Instructor: Professor Zhigang Suo
- Lectures: 2:30 pm – 4:00 pm Tuesday and Thursday, Maxwell-Dworkin 319
- Office Hour: 1 pm -2 pm, Monday, Pierce Hall 309
Here is a lecture-by-lecture outline of the course taught in the Fall of 2012. I will convert the outline into notes, and post them. But the notes will be rough.
- Stress-strain curve of a metal
- Perfect plasticity
- Ratcheting plastic deformation
- Bending of a beam
- Strain hardening
- Nonlinear viscosity
- Yield conditions
- Rigid-plastic flow
- Frame indifference
- Rheological models
- Elements of linear elasticity
- Basic equations in fluid mechanics
- General theory of finite deformation
No textbook is required
Go online and go to the library. Find some textbooks that suit you. Here are some examples
- A classic textbook. R. Hill The Mathematical Theory of Plasticity, Oxford University Press, 1950.
- J. Lubliner, Plasticity Theory, Macmillan Publishing Company, 1990. Search online to find a free copy posted by the author.
- M.E. Gurtin, Eliot Fried and Lallit Anand, The Mechanics and Thermodynamics of Continua, Cambridge University Press, 2010.
- A.F. Bower, Applied Mechanics of Solids. Free online.
- R.I. Tanner, Engineering Rheology, 2000.
- F. Irgens, Rheology and Non-Newtonian Fluids, 2014.