You are here
THE MOST CITED SCIENTIFIC PAPERS IN SOLID AND COMPUTATIONAL MECHANICS
I posted this survey in Applied Mechanics Research and Researchers on 16 April 2006, based on a survey of Web of Science. A paper making the list satisfied the following conditions:
- It is in the areas of solid mechanics, mechanics of materials, or computational mechanics, and
- It has at least 1000 citations.
This list may not be complete. If anyone finds a missing entry, please leave a comment below.
The cited number has been updated up to 18 Dec. 2006.
- ESHELBY JD, The determination of the elastic field of an ellipsoidal inclusion, and related problems. PROCEEDINGS OF THE ROYAL SOCIETY OF LONDON SERIES A-MATHEMATICAL AND PHYSICAL SCIENCES 241 (1226): 376-396, 1957. Times Cited: 3945
- WILLIAMS ML, Mechanical properties of substances of high molecular weight .19. The temperature dependence of relaxation mechanism in amorphous polymers and other glass-forming liquids. JOURNAL OF THE AMERICAN CHEMICAL SOCIETY, 77(14), 3701-3707, 1955. Times Cited: 3180
- GRIFFITH AA, The phenomena of rupture and flow in solids. Philosophical Transactions of the Royal Society of London, Sereis A, 221:163-198, 1921. Times Cited: 2646
- MATTHEWS JW and BLAKESLEE AE, Defects and epitaxial multilayers: 1. Misfit dislocations. JOURNAL OF CRYSTAL GROWTH 27 (DEC): 118-125, 1974. Times Cited 2486
- RICE JR, A path independent integral and approximate analysis of strain concentration by notches and cracks, JOURNAL OF APPLIED MECHANICS 35 (2): 379-386, 1968. Times Cited: 2089
- JOHNSON KL, KENDALL K, ROBERTS AD
SURFACE ENERGY AND CONTACT OF ELASTIC SOLIDS
PROCEEDINGS OF THE ROYAL SOCIETY OF LONDON SERIES A-MATHEMATICAL AND PHYSICAL SCIENCES 324 (1558): 301& 1971 Times Cited: 1877
- Taylor GI, Plastic strain in metals. JOURNAL OF THE INSTITUTE OF METALS 62: 307-324, 1938. Times Cited: 1817
- DUGDALE DS, Yielding of steel sheets containing slits. JOURNAL OF THE MECHANICS AND PHYSICS OF SOLIDS 8 (2): 100-104, 1960. Times Cited: 1746
- BIOT MA, Theory of propagation of elastic waves in a fluid-saturated porous solid. 1. Low-frequency range. JOURNAL OF THE ACOUSTICAL SOCIETY OF AMERICA 28 (2): 168-178, 1956. Times Cited: 1737
- MINDLIN RD, Influence of rotatory inertia and shear on flexural motions of isotropic elastic plates. JOURNAL OF APPLIED MECHANICS-TRANSACTIONS OF THE ASME 18 (1): 31-38, 1951. Times Cited: 1437
- Biot MA, General theory of three-dimensional consolidation. Source: JOURNAL OF APPLIED PHYSICS 12 (2): 155-164, FEB 1941. Times Cited: 1447
ESHELBY JD, The continuum theory of lattice defects. SOLID STATE PHYSICS-ADVANCES IN RESEARCH AND APPLICATIONS 3: 79-144, 1956. Times Cited: 1223
RICE JR, ROSENGRE GF, Plane strain deformation near a crack tip in a power-law hardening material. JOURNAL OF THE MECHANICS AND PHYSICS OF SOLIDS 16 (1): 1-12, 1968. Times Cited: 1224
HUTCHINSON JW, Singular behavior at end of a tensile crack in a hardening material. JOURNAL OF THE MECHANICS AND PHYSICS OF SOLIDS 16 (1): 13-31, 1968. Times Cited: 1220
MORI T, TANAKA K, Average stress in matrx and average elastic energy of materials with misfitting inclusions. ACTA METALLURGICA 21 (5): 571-574, 1973. Times Cited: 1270
BROOKS AN, HUGHES TJR, Streamline upwind Petrov-Galerkin formulations for convection dominated flows with particular emphasis on the incompressible Navier-Stokes equations. COMPUTER METHODS IN APPLIED MECHANICS AND ENGINEERING 32 (1-3): 199-259, 1982. Times Cited: 1180
- RICE JR, TRACEY DM ON DUCTILE ENLARGEMENT OF VOIDS IN TRIAXIAL STRESS FIELDS JOURNAL OF THE MECHANICS AND PHYSICS OF SOLIDS 17 (3): 201& 1969 Times Cited: 1069.
GURSON AL, Continuum theory of ductile rupture by void nucleation and growth, 1. Yield criteria and flow rules for porous ductile media. JOURNAL OF ENGINEERING MATERIALS AND TECHNOLOGY-TRANSACTIONS OF THE ASME 99 (1): 2-15, 1977. Times Cited: 1109